Monday, June 30, 2008

The Present

So how did I spend my birthday? Well, after writing my first blog early in the morning, I find out from our helper that we have nothing in the fridge. I had to work Saturday and did not have time to do the grocery. And since we were going down to Manila in the afternoon,my husband Armand did not want to go out of the house prior to that. So my birthday lunch depended on what I could put together in the kitchen. With the freezer empty except for some chicken nuggets and chicken gizzards for the turtles, that left us with fettuccine noodles and canned goods. Good thing we had tuna and mushrooms. My mom always said that noodles should be served on one’s birthday to symbolize long life, so i cooked tuna and mushroom fettuccine for lunch. Then, because I loved to bake and no one bought me a cake, I made delicious soft chocolate cake as well, using up the last 4 eggs and butter in the fridge. Was I sad because that was all that was served on my birthday lunch? No. In fact, I was quite happy and pleased with myself. I have recently discovered the joys of cooking and baking, and finding time to do it doesn’t happen often.

We all got ready after lunch for the 7th birthday party of Katrina, a friend’s daughter. And what a party it was! I never had so much fun in a children’s party before. Drs. Karl and Bettina gave their daughter her own pop concert party. Shiny necklaces, feather boas, and shades were handed out as the children got their name tags. There was a little salon where the kids could have their hair and nails done. Glitter tattoos were available at one corner, and after all that glamour, the children can have their photos taken and they can take it home.


The games were fun and I was pleased that my son, Jaime, who never joins games, took part in it and brought home 3 prizes. Then the concert began, and I was so proud of Katrina when she got up on stage and sang and danced for us all. She did several numbers. She sang with the group Jive, sang and danced with her friends, sang a couple of solos, and more. This from a 7 year old, who by the way is an alumna of Toddlers Unlimited.I was just like her proud mama, getting teary-eyed and all. Then, I think to myself, I wish I can raise my children to also be confident of themselves, to get up in front of people self-assuredly and show what they’ve got. Oh, we definitely all had a blast at the party!


We went to mass before going home, to give thanks and pray. Our fridge was still empty so we bought barbecue at Ineng’s as well. We were all still very full from the party but we needed to have food in the house in case anyone got hungry.


It was a good day. A day of contentment. Sometimes, to be happy we also need to stop wishing for more, to stop sulking because of what we don’t have, and stop looking ahead. We need to just be in the present and enjoy what we do have and what’s going on around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes it is good to be without sometimes so we can reflect on more important things in our life. I love the pictures.