Thursday, July 10, 2008

Grilled Salmon: A favorite dish in our home


I am fortunate to have a husband who will eat almost anything that is served to him without complaint. I only started cooking after we got married, and he has encouraged me to experiment and try new recipes, not with praises though because that is just not him. He, however, usually eats just a small portion for dinner, but when I cook for him, he would end up getting a second or even third serving. When I ask him if he likes the food, he answers with, "Hindi masarap! (It's not delicious!)" with a smile on his face, and I know I just aced another recipe.

One favorite dish in our home is grilled salmon with a special citrusy marinade. Even our two young boys, aged 2 and 4, love it so much that it's something I usually prepare once a week. We just had it Tuesday night and my husband wanted it again tonight. It was too late when I remembered to take a photo so I will just add a picture when I cook it again next week.

To make the marinade, you will need the following ingredients:
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange rind
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tsp lime juice or calamansi
1 tsp honey
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1Tbsp kikkoman soy sauce
1 grated white onion
3 drops tabasco sauce (optional)
1tsp vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients and marinade your salmon for 30 minutes. Grill the salmon for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side depending on the salmon's thickness. Do not overcook because it will be dry. Baste with marinade as you grill. I cook the leftover marinade by bringing it to a boil in a pan then simmering for a few minutes to use as a side sauce. Another sauce can be made from mayonnaise, minced garlic and a few drops of lemon juice.

Keep in mind that I don't normally measure when I cook and the above are estimates, so taste it as you go along and add according to your liking. I prefer it on the sweet side, so I use more orange juice, but if you like it more lemony then feel free to add more lemon juice. Please try the recipe above and let me know if you liked it.

No comments: