Friday, July 11, 2008

My Gift ... A Magical Way With Children

Tonight I really do feel my age. I joined the toddlers class today because one of the teachers was sick. As school director, I still go in the classrooms to work with the children and check on the classes. Today, however, I actually stayed and played with the children almost the whole class time. I had a really good time too, and it has reinforced again what I've known for almost 20 years ... that this is where I belong. I've always had a way with children that's something short of magical. Children have always gravitated towards me, whether in class, in a restaurant, in church, or just walking around. I just look into their eyes and we connect, even when we've just met for the very first time. Without much effort, I can charm them into feeling secure with me and in the classroom, and we would go on to have a wonderful time learning and playing together.

In the Jumping Joeys Class today, I approached two children who refused to share with each other and was shoving and pushing each other away. A minute later, these two 2-year-old children, Sachi and Lawrence, were helping each other to build a structure using magnetic blocks. Every so often, the two would still end up holding the same block and have a tug-of-war because of it. But with a few guiding words and a quick intervention so they don't hit each other, Sachi and Lawrence and I had a great time working and laughing together. Once in a while, their other classmates would join us because their laughter was infectious and sounds like so much fun. Next was art, which Lawrence refused to join as he held on to a book about shapes in the reading area. With a little cajoling, and suggestion that we make the shapes in the book using the playdough, Lawrence willingly went to the art table, where he made balls and flat cakes that were just like the shapes on the book he had. At Circle Time, I said a few words to Lawrence about sitting down and helping Sachi to sit as well, then put his hand to touch Sachi gently. Actually, Sachi has no problem with sitting down. She loves Circle and enjoys singing and doing the actions. It is really Lawrence who is finding it hard to sit for Circle, but the idea that he is helping another child to sit gave him some responsibility and a sense of caring for his friend, and helped him to stay for the duration of Circle. They sat together again during snack time. I tried and tried to feed Lawrence his noodles, to no avail. I stood up to check on something and when I returned, the teachers informed me that Lawrence ate the noodles when Sachi fed it to him with his spoon. :) Today this two children became friends, and I helped do that. It gives me a wonderful feeling inside. I joined the class in the romp area until they said goodbye.

I was so tired though after class. I thought to myself, " I don't remember 2 year olds being as heavy as them 5 years ago. Is it age that made me want to just lie down after, and have a good massage? My mind is willing to do many other things, but my body is not. I'm getting older. The aches and pains I feel tonight makes me realize that though my brain is still very much in tip top shape, I have to take care of my body more. I have to be conscious of eating the right food and getting the proper exercise if I want to live to see my grandchildren.

But for now, I really do need to rest and get a good night's sleep. I had a great time again today in the classroom, and working with children is what I am meant to do. What a blessed gift, and and I am thankful that I have been led to where I am now, the perfect place for me, in my own school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must be something special that draws me to your page too. Children are drawn to me too ever since I was in my teens I noticed. I not so good at expressing myself though. I will just learn from you and others. Thanks for the comment on one of my blog.